Sunday, October 14, 2012

Most Humiliating

Notice that this post is not called most embarrassing. Embarrassing implies humor (maybe for others)  or an eye roll at the very least. Humiliating is a whole different thing.
Did you know that many insurance companies have a million dollar cap per lifetime that they will pay? Ya, I didn't either. But sadly, I had reason to find out that little nugget of information. The first few months in the hospital cost dangerously close to that cap. Fortunately, on our policy, we had an out of pocket maximum. Unfortunately. I was in the hospital for the last few weeks of 2007, and the first few months of 2008 so we had to pay 2 years worth. I should have timed that better.
We were able to work out a payment plan with the University of Utah but they never seemed to get everything together.  Robert spent hours on the phone with different people in different departments, trying to make sure we had all the bills covered. But still we would receive letters from collection agencies demanding payment. Robert would have to call the attorneys and straighten things out and then call the U and add that payment to the total, asking every time, "Is this everything? There are no other bills?"
One day last year I was at home when I heard a knock on the door. When I answered, a man handed me some papers and said, "You've been served."
I was stunned into silence. I just stood there while he returned to his car. When I recovered enough to think, I looked around to see if any of my neighbors were out and had seen. They wouldn't have known anything but that didn't stop me from worrying. I then walked in the house, closed the door, and broke down crying. I mean really crying. It took me quite a few minutes before I could even call Robert and explain what had just happened.
He was furious! He immediately called the U and was not nice. He told them that his disabled wife had enough to worry about without answering the door to get a summons. He told them that we had never been late on a payment and this was THEIR oversight. They apologized and got supervisors and fell all over themselves trying to make it better.
I had people see me naked, had people shower me, had people help me in the bathroom, but nothing compares to that day. It was terrible.
Luckily that night, I got a foot massage. That made my day better.

No comments:

Post a Comment