Saturday, April 21, 2012

Getting Recognized

Today I went through the checkout line at a VERY busy Sams Club. Anonymous, right? Wrong. The Checker recognized me and commented about how long it had been and how nice it was to see me. I wish this were a one time thing but it happens everywhere I go. I admit, I am hard to miss and easily remembered. I have spoken numerous times on a couple of different topics, in a few different places. Consequently I am often approached, waved to, talked to, smiled at and hugged, and otherwise recognized, often by name. Often my response is, "hey...you." I remember faces but names and places not so much. I always feel bad about not knowing people but I also love that I'm aproachable. Too often I feel scary or strange.  I hate when people avert their eyes or scold their children for staring. This just adds to the idea that I am something to be avoided or even feared.  The best response I heard was when a little boy asked his mom what happened to me. Her answer was to tell him she didn't know and why doesn't he just ask me. This gave us the opportunity to talk, him to touch my face, and even laugh about how silly it made me talk. I will bet that boy won't be scared of me next time.

I hope my kids learn from me to never be afraid of differences. So many great people and opportunities would be missed if they were.

" In fact, some of the sweetest spirits are housed in frail frames."  Russell M. Nelson

Just to be clear, I am not claiming to be one of those sweet spirits. Anyone who really knows me can testify about how un-sweet I can be! Just ask Robert how sweet I am when he snores at 3 in the morning.

On a different note, today we signed up Jain for soccer. I can't wait for that! She already has a pink soccer ball and brings stuffed animals outside to watch her play and she recently asked if she could play while carrying a purse. A girlie girl playing soccer should be fun to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment