Friday, September 7, 2012

Super Fun Surgery

I realize I have not posted in a few but I have a good reason. My Doc moved my hysterectomy up a  week to yesterday. So I was mad dash making arrangements for my critters, cleaning, packing, researching, praying, etc.
As I said earlier, I have felt really good about having this done. After initially praying I received such peace. I may have been running around like a crazy person, and had a lot of anxiety, but that was all for my family. I have really felt calm myself and I know that, once again, The Lord is near.
Once I had made all the arrangements and had my last big shopping trip for non healthy cold cereals for the kids, I was all set for the big day.
Thursday morning we went to Roberts parents and his dad helped give me blessing. Then we were off. Seriously sorry about ruining Robert's moms birthday.
At the hospital I got right in and while the nurses attempted to find a vein that didn't pop (after all of my previous poking and prodding my veins are no good) Robert distracted himself by playing on his touch pad. He has become quite good at distancing himself from all the blood. Dr. Swift came in then and mostly talked to Robert (finding a vein had become a lengthy process) about what was planned or the contingencies. He told Robert that it's not that he doesn't trust me, but, he doesn't. He says I'm full of surprises.
Before I knew it I was waking up in PAIN! I wasn't fully awake and I did what came naturally, I signed "pain" above my belly. They couldn't understand that!! So I had to actually talk. I still think that everybody should know basic signs just like most know at least a little Spanish. At the very least it would help me and we all know that's what really matters.  After 18 surgeries I have become quite an expert on what pain meds work for me and the Dr.'s and nurses often take my advice so I'm usually quite comfortable. The only problem is that my oxygen sats sometimes fall and I have to breath deeply to avoid the alarm going off. So it was no surprise when I heard it. No matter how deeply I was breathing, the alarm would not stop. So I opened my eyes to see what my sats were and was very relieved to see that it was the alarm for the next bed! I probably would have hyperventilated.
All around me nurses were giving report and the Docs were giving instructions and people were talking and I noticed 2 things. First, I was one of the healthiest people there. One lady was diabetic, a smoker, and had a pacemaker, and was 92. Second, I understood too much of what the medical staff was saying. I've spent waaay too much time in hospitals.
Aleq had his Psychiatry appointment and after waiting too long to get in to see this guy, we couldn't cancel, so after talking to Dr. Swift Robert left to get Aleq and my wonderful. sweet. kind, etc. friend, Karen, came to be with me. So when I got to my room she was waiting there. I don't know why but I just like having someone with me even if all I am doing is sleeping.
The nurse gave me Percocet and I settled in to rest. It soon became apparent that I had built up an  immunity to yet another med and the pain came back with a vengeance! Karen said I went as white as my sheet and I began crying from my good eye. She went out twice to hurry them along with another med. During this fun time my mom called from St. Louis. Karen answered and then gave the phone to me whispering that I should not cry while on the phone. No way! My poor mom is freaking out and hates that she is so far away from me right now. So I did my best acting and assured her that I was doing great and she didn't need to worry. I got through that call and right after that I got a wonderful new med and was one happy and comfortable woman.
All night pain management was an issue so sleep was a few minutes here and there. I felt strange constantly asking for more meds but I was hurting! When Dr. Swift came in this morning, my nurse came in with him and we all figured out a pain management plan that seems to be working still.
They released me around 11 and Robert has been treating me like a princess and everyone has taken care of everything from the kids to cooking, to emptying the dishwasher.
I'm tired and a little sore but feeling better than I anticipated. All the prayers, the Temple visits, and fasting have been wonderful and I am surrounded by friends and family by whom I feel totally loved and cared for. I am really blessed.

Robert got to the board. My discharge ride says, "Thumbing a ride on Harrison Blvd." Lucky for me my CNA was nicer and offered me bus fare. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment