Friday, April 26, 2013

Go Red For Women

I was honored to be asked to attend The American heart/Stroke associations Go Red For Women Luncheon today. My sister, Wendy, who just recently had a hole in her heart fixed, was asked to go with me. There was a health fair where we got our BP and cholesterol checked, a silent auction (I am still paying the hospital directly so I figure I'm funding research that way. ;)), vendors, good food, and fun and inspiring speakers. And I have never seen so much red in one room!
I sat at the survivors table and met a girl and her mom. The girl, Emma, had a stroke when she was 13. Yes, 13! They are still unsure what the exact cause of the stroke was but have since found a genetic clotting disorder and numerous holes in her heart. She had over a year in therapy and had to learn to walk and swallow again (hey, sounds familiar!) but she is now 16 and doing wonderfully. She recently made varsity cheerleader at Juan Diego High School!! Her mom talked about that the doctors thought she was just dehydrated and even sent her home. 13 is too young for a stroke. But after becoming unresponsive, she was rushed to the hospital and then life flighted to Primary Children's Hospital. She is lucky to be alive!
It made me frustrated that, once again, a stroke went undiagnosed because the age wasn't just right. ARGHHHH! Emma and I are proof that a person can be young, have low BP and cholesterol, be mostly healthy and STILL have a stroke. Education, education, education!
After sitting and chatting with Emma, I am ashamed of my reaction. I am truly happy for her and love that she has come so far but I am a bit jealous. I wish that I had been able to come as far as she has. In my head I know that I was 20 years older when I had my stroke, it was a totally different situation, the stroke hit totally different parts of my brain, etc. BUT I WANT TO BE ALL BETTER!! 
I understand some of the wonderful lessons that my family, friends, and I have been able to learn from all this, my testimony is nowhere near where it was before and I am sooo thankful for its continued growth, I would not trade all the lessons and experiences for anything. But somewhere inside me something still screams I WANT TO BE ALL BETTER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment